- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
These corn cakes, made with fresh corn, are tasty appetizers that can be served hot with homemade salsa and sour cream.
- 1 fresh ear of corn
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob and place into a small bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- In a third bowl, mix together the boiling water with the cornmeal, and then stir in the milk, fresh corn and the chives. Mix well to blend.
- Add the flour mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the oil into a large frying pan over medium heat, and then drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil.
- Cook each corn cake for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes, turning once, and then place on a platter and cover to keep warm.
- Continue with the remaining batter, using the additional 1 tablespoon of oil when needed.