- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A great way to use fresh asparagus while in season; use shitake or wild mushrooms to compliment this delicious side dish.
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 pound shiitake (or wild) mushrooms, caps only, rinsed if necessary, chopped into large pieces
- 1/4 cup minced shallot or onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds fat asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter into a large sauté pan and set over medium-high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms, shallots, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Sauté the mixture for 10 minutes and then add the cream and bring to a boil.
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- In the meantime, steam the asparagus in a steamer according to manufacturer’s directions or in a steam basket over boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Place the asparagus on a platter and pour over the mushroom sauce. Serve immediately.