- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 22 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
French vegetable stew made from a wide variety of vegetables. Serve it with some thickly sliced peasant bread and a bottle of Shiraz, Barbaresco or Côtes de Provence.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Large handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place 1-1/2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the eggplant and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper; sauté for 7 minutes until soft. Remove the eggplant from the pan and set aside.
- Add another 1-1/2 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Once hot, add the onion and the bell pepper and cook for 7 minutes. Remove the onion mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the pan followed by the zucchini and squash. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and then sauté the mixture for 6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook the mixture for 2 minutes before transferring the eggplant, peppers and onions back into the pan.
- Mix in the vinegar, olives and basil and then season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot, topped with the feta cheese.