- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
- Total: 27 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
A classic French bistro salad made with endive lettuce, bacon and shallots, all topped with a perfectly poached egg. C'est magnifique!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1-3/4 cups)
- 2 medium heads frisee or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl.
- Cook the bacon in 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, about 8 minutes, and then transfer to the large bowl with the lettuce.
- Add the shallot to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes, and then remove pan from heat and mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and then pour mixture over salad. Toss to coat and then evenly divide salad between 4 plates.
- Place 1-inch of water in another medium-sized sauté pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Carefully crack each egg into the boiling water, so as not to break the yolks.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer the eggs for about 5 minutes, or until yolks are just set, and then place a poached egg on each salad plate. Sprinkle the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper and serve immediately.