- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Total: 1 hr 45 min
- Serving: 8
Everyone will say, "Oui!" to a bowl of French Beef Stew Deluxe.
- 3 bacon slices, cut into pieces
- 2 pounds round steak, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 strip orange peel
- 18 small white onions
- 3/4 pound small mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1, 10 ounce package frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, drained
- In large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, fry bacon until crisp; push bacon bits to side of pan. Add meat to pan and brown. Stir in 1 cup water, wine, bouillon cube, garlic, minced onion, salt, thyme and orange peel. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer one hour or until meat is tender.
- In covered medium saucepan over high heat, in about 1 inch salted water, cook onions 10 minutes; add mushrooms and continue cooking 5 more minutes; drain.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; stir into stew; heat to boiling, stirring constantly until thickened. Add onions, mushrooms, peas and olives; cover and cook 10 minutes or until peas are tender.