- Prep: 2 hr 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 3 hr 35 min
- Serving: 6
Easy, make ahead main dish, Four Bean and Barley Salad tastes great as a side dish next to fish, chicken or broiled steaks.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup medium barley
- 1, 9 ounce package frozen cut green beans
- 1, 20 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1, 20 ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 1, 16 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1, 2 ounce jar pimento, drained
- In 4 quart saucepan over high heat, heat water and barley to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until barley is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare green beans as package directs but omit salt. Drain green beans; place in large bowl. Add kidney, cannellini and garbanzo beans; set aside.
- When barley is done, add to bean mixture in bowl with pimento and remaining ingredients; toss gently to mix well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.