- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 6 hr
- Total: 6 hr 25 min
- Serving: 6
Peeling 40 cloves of garlic can be a daunting task. If you separate the cloves from the head and drop them into boiling water for 30 seconds; drain; wait until the garlic is cool to the touch, you can slip the peels off with your fingers. Brought to you from the 50+ Friends Club Cookbook.
- 1 frying chicken (3 lb.) cut into serving pieces
- 1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 cup dry vermouth
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp. dried parsley leaves
- 2 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 40 cloves garlic (about 2 heads), peeled
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- Juice and peel of 1 lemon
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Remove skin from chicken, if desired.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken; cook 10 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Remove to platter.
- Combine wine, vermouth, parsley, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes in large bowl.
- Add garlic and celery; coat well.
- Transfer garlic and celery to crock pot with slotted spoon.
- Add chicken to remaining herb mixture; coat well. Place chicken on top of vegetables in crock pot. Sprinkle lemon juice and peel in crock pot; add remaining herb mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.