- Prep: 8 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total: 14 min
- Serving: 6
- Â½ cup whole wheat flour
- Â½ cup all-purpose flour
- Â¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 6 to 7 tablespoons warm water
- In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Blend the shortening into the dry ingredients until it resembles a fine meal.
- Add water, a tablespoon at a time, and toss with your fingers until liquid is incorporated and forms a soft dough.
- Roll dough into a ball and knead on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide into 6 even portions and roll into smaller balls.
- Cover with a damp (not moist) towel and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Place a portion of dough between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll out with a rolling pin or flatten with a tortilla press.
- Repeat with remaining portions, setting flattened tortillas aside under a damp towel.
- Preheat griddle or cast-iron skillet on high heat. Cook each tortilla for 30 to 60 seconds or until golden.
- Flip and cook for another minute or until golden. Remove and stack on a plate covered with a towel to keep warm until ready to serve.
- Tortillas are best served warm and right away.