- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 5 min
- Serving: Dressing for 1 Salad
Escarole is a variety of endive with an enjoyable, slightly bitter flavor. Enjoy it tossed with toasted walnuts and a bright lemon dressing in this delicious salad.
Photo originally appeared on www.seriouseats.com
- 1 medium head of fresh escarole, washed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 ounces firm, aged goat cheese, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 salted anchovies, rinsed, filleted and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the walnuts into a skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring often, until golden and fragrant. Roughly chop the walnuts once cool.
- Cut the escarole into pieces and place into a salad bowl.
- Place the cheese, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk well to combine. Slowly pour in the oil and continue to whisk until blended.
- Add the walnuts to the bowl with the escarole and then pour on the dressing. Toss the mixture to coat and then serve immediately.