- Prep: 1 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 1 hr 50 min
- Serving: 2 loaves
Makes 2 loaves, great for holiday gatherings or family meals.
- 6 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups very warm water
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 2 1 1/2 quart casserole dishes.
- In a large bowl beat whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Add in the butter. Slowly add the water. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and another 1/2 cup of flour. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover, allow to rise in a warm place for about 25 minutes, until doubled.
- Stir it down and then divide between the 2 prepared pans. Cover and allow to rise again until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown. Remove from dishes and cool on racks.