- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 2-4
Because chicken masala is made with a mushroom sauce, it's really a meal unto itself--you can get a good sized serving of protein and nutritional vegetables. However, if you can't bear to put dinner on the table without a side dish and a carb, try serving it with roasted green beans and a bowl full of pasta.
- 2-4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cream
- Fresh Italian parsley for garnish
- Place flour, salt, and pepper in a large plastic bag. Plop chicken into the plastic bag and shake it around to fully cover the chicken.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 T. of butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the sizzling, melted butter, and brown it quickly on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate, add the final tablespoon of butter, onions, and mushrooms, and cook them slightly until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add chicken broth, and vinegar or lemon juice to the saucepan, whisk until a smooth broth forms
- Return chicken to the saucepan, spoon some of the sauce on top of the chicken, the cover with a lid. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and allow the chicken to simmer for 20-25 minutes in the covered saucepan, or until the chicken in cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the saucepan. Place it on a serving plate
- Bring the remaining sauce in the saucepan to a boil, whisk in the cream, then immediately remove it from the heat. Pour the hot sauce over the chicken and serve immediately garnished with fresh chopped Italian parsley, if desired.