- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 4-6 People
Seafood night can extend over into seafood morning or brunch. This shrimp and grits dish is so delicious and creamy, you might find that you want it three times a day! By cooking the grits in both chicken broth and heavy cream, the rich flavor is infused into the grits, making every bite a fantastic treat.
- 2-1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grits
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Dash of hot sauce (optional and amount to your liking)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Green onions, chopped for topping
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the chicken broth and heavy cream to a boil.
- Slowly add the grits, whisking as you add them, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Cook and continue to stir and keep an eye on your grits so they do not stick to the bottom, about 20 minutes.
- If the grits get too thick, add more liquid to the water, broth or heavy cream, continuing to stir. Add the cheese shortly before serving and stir to melt the cheese.
- For the shrimp, sauté the onion and garlic in the butter for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook them until they turn pink. This should not take very long at all, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the hot sauce and white wine after about 2 minutes of cooking the shrimp and stir to combine the flavors.
- To serve, either on a plate or in a pretty martini glass, spoon the grits onto the bottom, then spoon the shrimp mixture on top. Add more of the sauce, then sprinkle the green onions on top and enjoy!