- Prep: 3 hr
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 3 hr 55 min
- Serving: 2 loaves
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 4 cups rye flour
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, pour the scalded milk over the butter, sugar and salt. Stir and cool.
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Combine the milk mixture, yeast and 3 cups of the rye flour. Beat well.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Allow it to rise, until it has doubled, in a warm place.
- On a well floured board knead the whole wheat flour and caraway seeds into the rye dough. Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Divide in half. Shape into round or oblong loaves. Place in greased pans, cover and once again allow to rise until double.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 35-40 more minutes.