- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 8
Pour this hearty, healthy stew in a large thermos and pack it up for an early spring picnic.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth (6 cups)
- 1 large bunch of Swiss chard, tough stalks removed, leaves chopped ( about 12 cups)
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed, damaged lentils discarded
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- Plain yogurt
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, curry, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Stir in broth and chard and bring to a boil. Add lentils and cover. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garbanzo beans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more.
- Serve stew topped with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.