- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 33 min
- Total: 43 min
- Serving: 4-6 Servings
The exotic array of fruits mixed with curry in this all-purpose salsa, brings a delightful sweet and spicy tang to your grilled seafood and meat dishes.
- 1 cup dried whole figs, stemmed (about 6 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-3/4 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut chips or shavings
- In a medium-sized saucepan over high heat, stir together the figs, curry powder, crushed red pepper and water, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the figs get soft.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the figs from the pan (do not discard the liquid) and onto a clean, hard surface. Once cool, roughly chop into pieces and then transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Put the fresh pineapple into the saucepan with the liquid from the figs, and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent from sticking. Cook for 4 minutes and then pour into the bowl with the figs.
- In a small sauté pan, toast the coconut over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, or until golden, and then add to the fig mixture and stir to combine.