- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: Makes about 18 muffins
These healthy muffins can be enjoyed by the entire family. Make with a plain bran flakes cereal and lightly crush the flakes prior to using.
- 3 cups bran cereal, lightly crushed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 pound of chopped dates
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a muffin tin with butter or oil.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl, stir to combine and then set aside.
- Place the bran flakes and the chunks of butter into a large bowl and then add the boiling water. Stir the mixture well until the butter has completely melted, and then add the sugar and the eggs.
- Add the buttermilk and chopped dates, mix to blend, and then slowly stir in the flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Fill the muffin tin cups 3/4-full with the batter and then cook in the oven for 15 minutes or until the muffin tops spring back when gently pressed with your finger. Allow the muffins to cool in their tins prior to serving.