- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 2 Servings
Calamari, otherwise known as small squid, is a common appetizer in the Mediterranean region. Squeeze fresh lemon over the hot calamari and enjoy.
- 1 pound small squid tubes, cleaned, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups toasted Italian breadcrumbs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Put the squid into a medium bowl and pour in the buttermilk.
- In another large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together to combine.
- Dredge the calamari into the breadcrumbs and then place on a baking sheet. Put the baking sheet into the refrigerator for 10 minutes for crust to set.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large pot and heat to 375 degrees F. Add the calamari in batches, frying for about 2 minutes, and then draining on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle the calamari with salt and serve hot with the lemon wedges.