- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: Makes about 32 Pieces
Tender strips of stir-fried chicken coated with crunchy roasted cashews; a fantastic passed appetizer and a sure family favorite.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 cups peanut or vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped cashew nuts
- 2 whole skinless and boneless chicken breasts, sliced in strips
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, sugar and sherry in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white lightly with a fork. Slowly add in the cornstarch mixture, stirring gently until mixed.
- Cut a large piece of wax paper. Set aside on a counter-top.
- Empty the cashews onto a pie plate. Dip each chicken strip into the egg mixture and then dredge in cashews, pushing down so nuts adhere. Place on sheet of waxed paper.
- Pour the oil into a wok or a large sauté pan, and heat on medium-high. Carefully place 5 pieces of chicken into the hot oil; fry until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the cooked chicken and place on a serving dish. Serve with a sweet and sour dipping sauce.