- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Adding crispy bacon to this hearty vegetable medley gives this soup additional richness and depth. Feel free to use turkey bacon instead.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, trimmed, cut lengthwise into four equal pieces and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup peeled, cubed potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Place the bacon into a soup pot and cook for 6 minutes over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and then crumble once cool enough to handle.
- Add the carrots, onion and leek to the pot with the bacon fat, and sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, broth and the water and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer the soup until the potatoes are just tender, and then add the crumbled bacon, green beans, zucchini, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomato and beans. Cook the mixture for 8 minutes and then serve hot.