- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: Serves 4-6
This recipe turns classic macaroni and cheese into an elegant gourmet dinner party soufflé. Serve with a chilled Sauvignon Blanc and a crisp green salad.
- 1-1/2 cups scalded milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup diced pimento
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 1-1/2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, pour the milk over the soft bread crumbs and sprinkle in the cheese. Let the mixture sit while the cheese melts.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beaten egg yolks, pimento, parsley, onion, salt, and melted butter.
- Add the egg mixture and the macaroni to the large bowl with the milk mixture; stir well.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until they form stiff white peaks. Fold into the macaroni mixture and then empty into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake the soufflé for 35 minutes until puffy and golden.