- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 55 min
- Serving: Serves 4-6
On a cold winter day, a bowl of soup is just the thing to warm you from the inside out. Garnish this sweet and savory dish with a dollop of crème fraiche swirled on top.
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 4 cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups 1-inch pieces peeled acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the onion and the garlic for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, both kinds of squash, the thyme and sage and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Pour in the cream and stir. Sprinkle in the sugar and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.