- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Serves 20 (1/2 cup servings)
Creamed onions make an easy and delicious side dish and are often a featured holiday tradition.
- 24 small onions or pearl onions
- 12 sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Couple pinches papkrika
- Peel and trim onions. Boil gently in salted water for about 30 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Place the onions in a shallow, buttered casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms in butter. Stir in the flour, then stir in the cream, salt, half the lemon zest and all of the lemon juice. Stir over medium heat letting the sauce thicken.
- Pour the mushrooms over the onions in the casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Serving suggestion: garnish with chopped parsley, remaining lemon zest and a few more pinches of paprika.