- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 12
A tasty holiday side-dish that is so delicious, it can be served all year round.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 2 cups wild rice
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, bring the stock to a simmer.
- In a heavy 2-quart ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil.
- Add the shallots and sautÃ© until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until the grains are well coated, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the simmering stock, dried cranberries, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, stir and cover.
- Transfer the casserole to the oven and bake until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
- Remove from the oven. Remove and discard the bay leaf and the thyme sprigs, if used. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the pecans and parsley. Serve hot or warm. Serves 8 to 10.