- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 6
When the craving for a homemade pastry crust filled with a flavorful combination of crab, fresh herbs and cheese arises, this recipe is a must.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 ounces cooked crabmeat
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda
- To make pastry, place flour, butter, shortening and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until mixture looks like coarse meal with some lumps. Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water and pulse until incorporated. Add a bit more water if mixture seems dry.
- Dump mixture onto a lightly floured work surface and bring into a dough - do not over-work. Form into a flat round disk, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove plastic wrap and roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place pastry crust in a pie plate, fitting it into the bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough and crimp edges. Lightly prick bottom and side of shell with a fork. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights and bake 20 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, whisk together eggs, cream, herbs and spices. Stir in crab and cheese. Pour into pie crust and bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set and slightly puffed. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.