- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 10 Servings
Use ripe summer tomatoes and toasted Italian peasant bread to make this traditional and rustic Italian salad. Enjoy with friends over a bottle of Vernaccia Di San Gimignano.
- 2 pounds medium tomatoes,cut into small wedges
- 12 ounces peasant bread, torn into bite-size pieces and lightly toasted
- 1 cup loosely packed baby arugula
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly slicedv
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the tomatoes, bread, arugula, basil, and onions in a salad bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, garlic and a few pinches of salt and pepper until thoroughly blended, and then pour over the tomato mixture. Toss the salad to coat and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes prior to serving.