- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: 24
Just the right combo of salty and sweet.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cups cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- Cut shortening into mixture with pastry blender (or two knives) until coarse.
- Pour buttermilk in very slowly, stirring only until ingredients are lightly combined.
- Roll out dough 1/2" thick on floured surface. Cut out biscuits with cutter and place on greased baking sheet.
- Spray cooking (nonstick) spray on each biscuit.
- Bake about 9 to 12 minutes at 450F until golden.