- Prep: 35 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 45 min
- Serving: 1, 9-inch loaf
This bread is a wonderful treat served with a cup of hot black tea or perfect for breakfast, toasted with a pat of butter.
- Butter or nonstick cooking spray to grease pan
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup medium-grind whole grain cornmeal or regular cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans plus 10 pecan halves for garnish
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x593-inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking power together to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup, eggs, and extract until well blended, and then add to the flour mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Sprinkle in the 3/4 cup of the pecans and the cranberries and then pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining pecans on top and bake the bread until golden and a knife inserted in the center tests clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool the bread for 20 minutes before serving.