- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 35 min
- Serving: 4 to 6 servings
A Cornish hen is simply a young chicken sold whole, which is why it is smaller than a traditional chicken. In this recipe you can enjoy these tasty birds marinated and served with sweet pearl onions and carrots.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Paprika
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Onion Powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Sea Salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Sage
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Thyme
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Pepper
- 2-1/2 cups of chicken stock
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 bag of pearl onions
- 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Fresh thyme sprig
- Fresh rosemary sprig
- 4 Cornish hens, trussed
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil on high heat, and then add the pearl onions and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer the onions to a cold water bath, drain and peel off skins.
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, onion powder, seal salt, garlic powder, sage, thyme and pepper. Evenly rub the hens with the spice mixture and then place into a large roasting pan, along with the carrots, onions, garlic, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary and chicken stock.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 1 hour and 10 minutes, making sure to baste the hens every 10 -12 minutes to keep them from drying out.