- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 6-8 People
Try this delicious cornbread stuffing with apples and golden raisins for a unique Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner side dish.
- 2 large eggs, whites only
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
- 2 cups defatted broth or low sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, skim milk, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Combine the remainder of the dry ingredients and add to the skim milk and egg white mixture. Stir until blended and pour into a prepared pan; bake for 15 minutes, or until bread is done. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the stuffing: Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and sauté celery and onion until tender. Add spices; remove and put into a large bowl. Add raisins, apples, and the cornbread, crumbled.
- Toss with the broth and sherry and bake covered in a casserole dish previously coated with cooking spray, about 12 to 15 minutes. If the stuffing appears to dry, add more broth. Toward the end of cooking, remove cover to brown.