- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 8
- 2 cups masa harina
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Â¼ cup hot water
- Place the masa harina and salt in a large bowl.
- Add water, a couple tablespoons at a time, and toss with your fingers until liquid is incorporated and forms a soft dough.
- Mix and knead dough on a lightly floured surface until the dough feels elastic and holds together without cracking.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Cover with a damp (not wet) towel and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Place a portion of dough between two pieces of plastic wrap and evenly flatten with a rolling pin or a tortilla press until thin.
- Repeat with remaining portions, setting flattened tortillas aside under a damp towel.
- Preheat griddle or cast-iron skillet on high heat. Cook each tortilla for 30 to 60 seconds or until golden.
- Flip and cook for another minute or until golden. Tortilla will puff.
- Remove from heat while tortilla is still pliable and not crisp.
- Stack on a plate covered with a towel to keep warm until ready to serve.