- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 16 cakes
A nice change from traditional pancakes. Serve with syrup or jam.
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Vegetable oil spray
- Mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the buttermilk and margarine. Mix in with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the other ingredients.
- Grease a griddle. Spoon the batter onto the hot griddle. Brown on both sides.