- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 5 min
- Serving: 6
A medley of cool cucumber, sweet red onion, fresh herbs and crunchy peanuts is a natural counterpart to pungent or spicy Indian, Thai, or Vietnamese cuisine.
- 4 medium cucumbers (about 1 Â½ pounds)
- Â½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Â¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Â¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Â½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pinch of salt, or more to taste
- Cut washed cucumbers in half lengthwise.
- Use the tip of a spoon to dig through and remove the seeds.
- Cut crosswise into Â¼ inch thick crescents.
- Add cucumber, onion, and herbs to the large bowl containing the vinegar mixture below.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together the Vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt until well blended.
- Toss to coat well and refrigerate, covered, for about an hour to marry the flavors.
- Right before serving, add the chopped peanuts and toss again.
- Serve cold.