- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 8
Plain rice may never again have a place on your table after this recipe. Coconut milk adds a creamy tenderness to the nutlike basmati rice.
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 Â½ cups water (or chicken broth for a richer flavor)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup long-grain brown basmati rice, rinsed, drained
- Â¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Â½ cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- Â½ cup crushed pineapple
- ⅓ cup currants
- Â¼ cup fresh shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Juice of half of a lemon (about 1 Â½ tablespoons)
- Â½ teaspoon white pepper
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and stir in the rice.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Pour rice into a large serving bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Combine well and serve hot.