- Prep: 26 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 1 hr 21 min
To get the most out of this delicious treat, try serving with berries rich in vitamin C to help absorb the iron.
- Cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of Tartar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray mini bundt cake molds with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, water, and oil until well blended. Whisk in about 1/3 of the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture and whisk again. Add remaining mixture and whisk until just combined.
- In a large clean bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into batter. Gently fold remaining egg whites into batter until just blended and no white streaks are visible.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared Bundt cake molds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into center comes out clean. Set mold on rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, gently loosen edge of cakes. Turn cakes onto rack and cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, heat the chocolate chips and butter over medium-low, stirring frequently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until just melted and mixture is smooth. Remove pan from heat. Drizzle about 2 teaspoons on each coconut-chocolate mini Bundt cake. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon coconut on each cake.