- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: Makes about 3 cups
Tabbouleh originates from Lebanon and is a delicious salad whose main ingredients include chopped parsley, cracked wheat, fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Serve with grilled meats such as chicken or lamb.
- 3 tablespoons Number 1 grade bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt and more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pound medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 cups minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place the bulgur into a bowl and add the water. Cover the bowl and let stand for 10 minutes, and then drain the bulgur and place into a shallow bowl.
- Spread the sliced onions onto a large plate, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and the allspice and then chop into small pieces.
- Place the onion mixture into the bowl with the bulgur and then add the tomatoes, parsley, mint, oil, and lemon juice. Sprinkle the salad with a few pinches of salt and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.