- Prep: 1 hr 25 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr
- Total: 3 hr 25 min
- Serving: 12
Old Fashioned Baked Beans are homemade and worth the extra time to make them.
- 1 pound dry Great Northern beans
- 2 quarts water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Place beans and 1 quart water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse; return beans to saucepan.
- Add salt and remaining water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until beans are tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
- In a greased 13 by 9 inch baking dish, combine beans, onions, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, bacon and 1 cup of reserved cooking liquid. Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the beans have reached desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Add additional reserved cooking liquid if needed.