- Prep: 45 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Total: 2 hr 5 min
- Serving: 4 People
Hold on to your berets and say, "Oui" to a classic French onion soup that will be sure to warm up the coldest day. Served in individual soup bowls oozing with melted cheese, your family and friends will say, "Merci!"
- 5 Onions (medium yellow)
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cans beef broth plus one can water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2-3 tablespoons brandy
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- A loaf of crusty, hearty bread cut into cubes
- 2 cups grated cheese or four slices (Swiss, provolone and gruyere work the best)
- Slice onions and saute in butter for 10 minutes or until translucent.
- Combine beef broth and water in a separate pot and boil.
- Add nutmeg and flour to onion mixture. Mix well and turn down the heat, taking care not to burn the flour.
- Add the wine and brandy. Let mixture boil until alcohol has evaporated.
- Add the boiling beef broth and check seasonings.
- Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare bread and cheese. Toast the bread cubes and grate desired cheese if necessary.
- Line oven safe soup bowls with toasted bread cubes and pour in soup.
- Sprinkle or add slices of cheese on top.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.