- Prep: 1 hr 25 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 2 hr 25 min
- Serving: 6
Classic Eggplant Casserole is layer with tomato sauce and cheese.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can fine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1, 16 ounce package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large jar marinara sauce
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Peel and cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices, soak in cold, salted water for 30 minutes. Drain well, pat dry with paper towel.
- Beat eggs together with water in shallow plate, place crumbs on sheet of wax paper, dip eggplant in egg mixture then bread crumbs, coat well.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Brown eggplant slices a few at a time, and drain on a paper towel.
- In a 9 by 13 inch glass baking dish, layer eggplant, dot with ricotta, sprinkle with mozzarella, cover with sauce and continue layering ending with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.