- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 12 Servings
Your holiday table isn’t complete without a bowl of these classic creamed onions.
- 2 (16-ounce) bags frozen peeled pearl onions, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place the olive oil into a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onions and sauté for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry and simmer the mixture for 2 minutes before removing the onions with a slotted spoon and placing into a serving bowl.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over medium heat, then whisk in the flour, thyme, nutmeg and cloves and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the half and half, whisk to combine, and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onions back to the pan and cook for 2 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper and serving.