- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 2 Servings
This dish can be enjoyed as a light lunch or even for breakfast with a fried egg on top and a side of bacon.
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño chiles
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 ears corn, shucked or 1 can of corn
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chiles and lime juice. Sprinkle with salt and set aside and allow flavors to infuse.
- Cut the kernels of corn from the cob and set aside. In a medium bowl, add the egg and milk. Mix with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, salt and corn to the bowl and mix ingredients until well blended.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Spoon in 2 tablespoons of batter to make a fritter. Fry for about 2 minutes per side and then remove from pan and blot with a paper towel. Continue frying the fritters with the rest of the oil and batter.
- Place fritters on a plate and serve with salsa.