- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Total: 1 hr 50 min
- Serving: Serves 10
Heavy cream and traditional Swiss cheese makes this a rich dish and a wonderful addition to any holiday feast.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and slightly crushed with the flat side of a knife
- 3 pounds baking potatoes (about 6 large), peeled and sliced in 1/8" thick rounds
- 6 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- Heat oven to 350°F. Rub a shallow 2 quart baking dish with the garlic. Layer half the potatoes evenly over bottom of prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese and salt; drizzle with half the cream. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered 1-1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender when pierced and top is brown and crisp. Planning tip: may be baked up to 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate.