- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 23 min
- Total: 48 min
- Serving: Makes 12 muffins
These muffins are moist and delicious with fragrant flavors of fresh nutmeg and cinnamon. Enjoy for breakfast over a piping hot mug of coffee or tea.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 whole nutmegs, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, grated nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork and then add the cream, milk and melted butter. Mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 18 minutes. Muffins will be a golden color.
- Remove muffins from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes. In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon together and melt the butter in a small pan.
- Dip each muffin in the melted butter and then dredge in the sugar and cinnamon topping. Set on a plate and serve.