- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 8 half cup servings
This is a nice twist on traditional applesauce and can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Try cooking the fruit unpeeled to add flavor and then pass through a sieve to remove the skins.
- 1/2 cup natural apple juice
- 2 pounds Fuji apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 pounds red Bartlett pears, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 2 pieces
- 1/4 packed brown sugar
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Dispose of cinnamon sticks and lemon.
- Using a spoon, press the fruit mixture through a sieve over a bowl and discard skins.
- Stir in brown sugar and serve applesauce at room temperature or chilled.