- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 6
Are you looking for a way to stop buying high-priced packaged applesauce from the store? In about 20 minutes, you can have a delicious applesauce the whole family will appreciate. Leaving the peel on fresh apples results in a beautiful, light red coloring and chunky texture. Ginger, brown sugar, and cinnamon are an irresistable flavor combination. Instead of pouring on the syrup at breakfast or opening a jar at snack time, try this recipe for Gingered Applesauce. Perfect topping to Potato Pancakes or with pork chops. Can be served warm or cold.
- 4 medium cooking apples (Rome Beauty)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarsely chop apples. Finely chop ginger.
- Combine apples, water, ginger, and brown sugar in a pan with a lid.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- # Remove liquid from the pan, stir in cinnamon, and serve.