- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 15 min
- Total: 3 hr 35 min
- Serving: 10
Hearty pinto beans add protein to Chunky Beef and Bean Soup.
- 1, 16 ounce package dry pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1, 9 ounce package frozen French-style green beans
- 1, 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- In 5 quart Dutch oven over high heat, heat beans and 8 cups water to boiling; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover; let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; set aside.
- In same Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion until pan juices evaporate and meat is browned, stirring occasionally. Return beans to Dutch oven; stir in wine, salt, sugar, thyme, pepper and 6 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 1 3/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in frozen beans and tomato sauce; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 15 minutes or until beans are tender, stirring often.