- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes 4 servings
These chocolate covered short rib recipe is a sweet and flavorful twist on typical beef.
- 1/4 cup diced bacon
- 6 pounds bone-in short ribs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups diced onions
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced peeled carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups red wine
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons shaved or grated unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Cook bacon in a large pot until crispy. Take bacon out of pot with a slotted spoon and reserve on paper towels. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper and sear in pot with bacon drippings about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove ribs and reserve on a plate.
- Saute onions, shallots, celery, carrots and garlic in same pot until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Pour in red wine and bring mixture to a boil for about 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half – be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits.
- Add broth, tomatoes, parsley, thyme spring, bay leaf, bacon and short ribs to pot. Stir and place lid over pot. Cook for about 1-1/2 hours. Take lid off of pot and continue simmering for 1-1/2 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Remove ribs with a slotted spoon and reserve on a plate. Remove bay leaf and spoon off any fat that has risen to the top of the sauce. Bring sauce to a boil for about 8 minutes or until it begins to become thick.
- Lower heat to medium and add chocolate, cocoa powder and rosemary. Cook, stirring, until chocolate melts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add ribs back into pot and cook until heated through. Serve warm.