- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Makes about 30 small pancakes
A dessert-like – even hedonistic – breakfast, these chocolate pancakes, draped with fresh berry sauce, are divine as a special morning-after meal or to treat relatives and friends visiting for the weekend.
- 1-2/3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 tablespoons (plus more for cooking) butter, melted, cooled
- 1-1/4 cups (plus up to a 1/4 cup more) milk
- 1 pint raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raspberry liqueur
- To make the pancakes, put the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and sugar through a sieve placed over a large mixing bowl. Add the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients. In a second bowl, beat eggs and vanilla together. Add butter then milk and continue to blend. Pour the liquid mix over the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly. It should be the consistency of a really good milkshake.
- Place a platter in the oven and turn the heat to 200°F. As you make the pancakes, put them on the platter so they stay warm until ready to serve. Place griddle or large skillet over moderate heat (reduce heat if chocolate begins to burn) and brush with a little melted butter. Using a ladle, drop batter onto the griddle or skillet to make pancakes about 2 to 3 inches across. Cook until edges begin to look dry and bubbles appear on the surface. Flip gently and cook for another minute on the other side.
- To make the sauce, place half of the raspberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, water and liqueur. When the raspberries start to collapse and liquefy, turn the heat down to low and cook until they are very soft. Pour through a strainer to remove the seeds, pushing against the solids to extract all of the juice. Add the remainder of the raspberries to the juice and stir. Set aside until pancakes are done.
- To serve, serve 3 to 5 pancakes per person, topped with the raspberry sauce and berries.