- Prep: 25 min
- Cook Time: 9 min
- Total: 34 min
- Serving: Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Most people are familiar with Malt balls of Malted milk drinks, but many don’t know that malt is made out of barley and is used in baked goods because it adds a natural sweetness. If you can’t find it at your local supermarket, try to order online instead.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup malt powder
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two baking pans with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy, but slightly grainy. Continue to beat while adding the vanilla and the eggs.
- Mix in the malt powder at a low speed until just mixed. Then, slowly add in the flour mixture continuing to beat until just combined; fold in the chocolate chips.
- Form cookies by taking a tablespoon of the dough at a time and placing on the baking sheet a few inches apart. Bake the cookies for about 9 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.