- Prep: 1 hr 5 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: Makes 1-1/2 cups
Make this spicy and smoky relish-like salsa the day before to allow all its wonderful flavors to blend. Thirty minutes prior to serving, stir the salsa and set aside to reach room temperature. Enjoy it with tortilla chips or spoon it over grilled meat and poultry.
- 3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, rinsed, drained, seeded, and finely chopped
- 8 tomatillos, husked and rinsed or one 13-ounce can tomatillos, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the fresh or canned tomatillos on a clean surface and finely chop with a sharp knife. Transfer the chopped tomatillos to a bowl and then stir in the chipotle peppers, onion, thyme, garlic, brown sugar, and salt.
- Let the salsa stand at room temperature, covered, for 45 minutes prior to serving, or cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.