- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Total: 22 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This chiocciole pasta dish, made with sardines and breadcrumbs is a simple, Italian-inspired meal. Enjoy with a bottle of Verdicchio or an American Riesling.
- 1 pound dried chiocciole
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 (4-to 41/2-oz) cans sardines in oil
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill (from 1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta ‘al dente’ according to package directions, drain (reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid), and set aside.
- In the meantime, place the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the garlic, pepper flakes and a few pinches of salt and pepper, and sauté the mixture for 2-1/2 minutes. Stir in the sardines and sauté for an additional 2 minutes; remove the pan from the heat.
- Transfer the drained pasta to the sauté pan, along with the reserved cooking liquid, the dill and cheese. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper, gently toss the mixture to combine and serve immediately topped with the bread crumbs.